University-related travel

Employee university-related travel

Unit leaders may now consider allowing business travel provided they are judicious in approving requests for travel in support of the mission of the university, and they ensure all relevant public health guidelines are being followed. Requests that do not provide a clear justification as to how the travel request supports our mission should not be approved.

Currently, face coverings are required on planes, buses, trains and other forms of public transportation traveling into, within or out of the United States and in U.S. transportation hubs such as airports and stations.​

It should be noted, that some regions have travel restrictions that include a quarantine or isolation period and/or COVID testing either before travel or upon return to the U.S., which may impact an individual’s ability to work. Hence, such factors need to be considered when approving travel requests. Current information about locations throughout the world are provided by the CDC and also should be considered.

Study abroad and student university-related international travel

While there is still uncertainty regarding international travel, MU International Programs is continuously and carefully monitoring the state of the COVID-19 pandemic around the world. Using guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and U.S. Department of State, as well as other COVID-19 related metrics, MU is reviewing the feasibility of study abroad programs for summer 2021, fall 2021 and academic year 2021/22 on a case-by-case basis.

Additionally, all non-study abroad student university-related international travel must be tracked in the International Travel Registry and submitted for review by the STAR Committee. This includes students traveling abroad to conduct research, attend conferences, participate in practicums or clinicals, or participate in non-credit service-learning or volunteer activities.

Given the uncertainties related to COVID-19, students planning study abroad or university-related international travel during an upcoming term should make back-up plans knowing that travel restrictions and other guidance can change unexpectedly and may alter plans. See additional guidance for planning study abroad and international travel.

Student university-related domestic travel

All student university-related domestic travel must be tracked in the Domestic Travel Registry. All MU graduate and undergraduate students traveling individually or in groups outside of Missouri and the adjoining metropolitan areas are required to register travel that is:

  1. Partially or fully funded by MU
  2. Related to an MU course or curriculum requirement
  3. Organized by an MU faculty or staff member within the scope of their MU employment

Additional guidance

If you are a student and you are experiencing symptoms or concerns about your ability to travel, contact the Student Health Center at 573-882- 7481 for further guidance.

Please see the CDC international travel and domestic travel guidelines for more information.

Additional travel information